IGNORED

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

roberthazelby

Morning all,

Spotted this on Hot UK Deals...

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...&sku=806779

Don't forget quidco.

I also see they have The King of King CD album, too. I didn't know it even existed. I already have the DVD, but have ordered this out of curiosity. Seems to be the audio of the DVD:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...&sku=703914

I only got to see this for the first time this week, great show.

I had to order it in HMV as they had no stock.

What i found really strange though is that there's another documentary with all the same people covering the same subject.

Its called Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.

I also watched this for the first time this week and think its actually better than King Of Kong.

Anyone else seen this?

I only got to see this for the first time this week, great show.

I had to order it in HMV as they had no stock.

What i found really strange though is that there's another documentary with all the same people covering the same subject.

Its called Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.

I also watched this for the first time this week and think its actually better than King Of Kong.

Anyone else seen this?

I'd really like too. Has it been released in the UK?

Not yet, its currently doing the rounds on American cable, i confess i got it via a torrent but i will buy the dvd when it comes out.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd been checking various online, ummm, 'places' for months, and gave up trying to find it.

Can't wait to see this. It'll keep me going until if/when it receives a proper DVD release.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd been checking various online, ummm, 'places' for months, and gave up trying to find it.

Can't wait to see this. It'll keep me going until if/when it receives a proper DVD release.

I look forward to hearing your opinion, i'll check back in a few days.

Same here - I think I might have actually started a Chasing Ghosts thread before the King of Kong one in Film/TV.

Edit: There's actually a version of CG on a site with bay and pirate in the title but it claims to be a 2006 screener before the film was edited/sound balanced.

The accompanying info claims the finished/final version is being shown on Showtime in HD.

December 3: 8:30am, Showtime Next

December 4: 7:30am, Showtime Showcase

December 6: 3:00am, Showtime Too

December 7: 12pm, Showtime Next

December 9: 12pm, Showtime Showcase

December 11: 2:30am, Showtime <-------------------------------IN HD

December 11: 1:30pm, Showtime Next

December 13: 9:30am, Showtime Too

December 14: 12am, Showtime Too

December 15: 8:30pm, Showtime Too

December 16: 7:15am, Showtime Next

December 16: 3:30pm, Showtime Next

December 20: 3:40pm, Showtime Next

December 22: 12:00pm, Showtime Next

December 26: 11am, Showtime Too

December 28. 10:15am, Showtime Next

December 29: 12:30pm, Showtime Showcase

It is good.

I found it amazing that such a subculture exists within gaming and has done since the early 80's

I've read a lot of magazines over the years and never once have i came across Twin Galaxies.

They're a very big deal in the US retro scene, even if fairly universally mocked. The US view is much more closely aligned with pinball.

Same here - I think I might have actually started a Chasing Ghosts thread before the King of Kong one in Film/TV.

Edit: There's actually a version of CG on a site with bay and pirate in the title but it claims to be a 2006 screener before the film was edited/sound balanced.

The accompanying info claims the finished/final version is being shown on Showtime in HD.

December 3: 8:30am, Showtime Next

December 4: 7:30am, Showtime Showcase

December 6: 3:00am, Showtime Too

December 7: 12pm, Showtime Next

December 9: 12pm, Showtime Showcase

December 11: 2:30am, Showtime <-------------------------------IN HD

December 11: 1:30pm, Showtime Next

December 13: 9:30am, Showtime Too

December 14: 12am, Showtime Too

December 15: 8:30pm, Showtime Too

December 16: 7:15am, Showtime Next

December 16: 3:30pm, Showtime Next

December 20: 3:40pm, Showtime Next

December 22: 12:00pm, Showtime Next

December 26: 11am, Showtime Too

December 28. 10:15am, Showtime Next

December 29: 12:30pm, Showtime Showcase

I assume this isnt available via Sky in the UK? perhaps someone could point us in the direction of a proper upload in the neat future :wub:

In the meantime ill check the screen, as I loved King of Kong.

I've just finished watching this, and must say that it was very enjoyable, but not as good as The King of Kong.

The CG bits were brilliantly well done, and it was nice to see what each person in that Time Magazine photo had done since that picture was taken.

Mr. Awesome still comes across as someone who feels it's almost like his right to be recognised in life for something.

Hats of to the Games TM and Retro Gamer teams for getting their mags into the film - excellent work!!!

I'll certainly be adding this to my collection if/when an official release becomes available.

I think Chasing Ghosts makes them all seem like even bigger muppets than the King of Kong portrayal. There are numerous priceless moments, but one that sticks out in my mind is when that guy is going on about how he spent 30+ hours getting the Star Wars record, and how the only person who ever came close had to stop half way because they were suffering from halucinations (presumably through sleep deprivaton)! He was such an amazing character, you'd struggle to find a better characterisation in a proper Hollywood film. Also, his overweight cat, LOL!

I think Chasing Ghosts makes them all seem like even bigger muppets than the King of Kong portrayal. There are numerous priceless moments, but one that sticks out in my mind is when that guy is going on about how he spent 30+ hours getting the Star Wars record, and how the only person who ever came close had to stop half way because they were suffering from halucinations (presumably through sleep deprivaton)! He was such an amazing character, you'd struggle to find a better characterisation in a proper Hollywood film. Also, his overweight cat, LOL!

I've never been able to find Chasing Ghosts online :wub:

I thought Chasing Ghosts was a lot more honest and straight than King Of Kong, which I now look back on as being pretty exploitative of the scene and the people driving it, and deliberately distorted, contrived or manufactured in a lot of ways. It's a lot more innocently enthusiastic and covers so many more games (though obviously, they never go into enough detail). I was sick to death of Donkey Kong by the end of KoK.

Naturally, there's a standard "Walter Day is a mad hippy", "all these dudes are mad, tragic nerds" strand in Chasing Ghosts as well, but there's much more honest warmth and passion conveyed, rather than the cloying positioning of good v bad, outsider v established group, noble sacrifice and commitment hero-worship bullshit that frames so much of KoK.

One thing that did piss me off with Chasing Ghosts was the use of CGI 'reinterpretations' of classic games as a means of explanation. 2D games shouldn't be translated into shoddy 3D renders in some bizarrely misplaced attempt to help outsiders 'get' the challenge. They're just a waste of screentime and, presumably, budget when a straight explanation and demonstrative footage from the actual game will do just fine.

Another sweet documentary is High Score, which about some dude trying to break the Missile Command high score with some fairly temperamental hardware. Punishing.

http://www.highscoremovie.com/trailer.html

What I DO want to see, though, is the story behind those two dudes who died trying to break Bezerk's record. Wtf happened there?

(PS: I got my copies of Chasing Ghosts and High Score from Cinemageddon)